God works for the good of those who love him

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose ... For I am convinced that [nothing] will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:28, 38-39)

In times of difficult situations, when we are walking the "valley of the shadow of death", we may question the goodness of God. We may ask "Where is God in all of this?" "Where is God when I need him?" or "Why does God allow His (children) to go through suffering or pain?

There are three reasons why we go through such situations. 1, It is the Course of nature. Death and nature's manifestations such as typhoons and earthquakes are natural. 2, They are Consequences of our actions. We go through pain perhaps as a result of our wrong choices and actions. and 3, They are for the Chipping of our character. We go through difficulties as trials that try and help mature our character and faith in God. However, regardless of the reason, explanations may be irrelevant or may not sink in to a hurting person, one desires only one thing--salvation.

There is one thing we can hold on to, that God works for the good of those who love him. God works with the end in mind--our good. Gold is purified through the hottest flame. Note that God doesn't work for everyone's good, but for those who love and put their hope in Him.

In light of the recent calamity. It is amazing how God's Sovereignity rule over the situation. One cannot say that all these people who have been hit by the calamity experienced it because of a consequence of their sins (that's why often legalistic Christians get heat for this), because for some this calamility is aimed at molding their faith, and for others it is a harsh correction of a worldly life. But in all of these, I believe and am amazed that for every person God had a purpose for this calamlity to come upon them. Nothing is done without a purpose. No experience is wasted and unlearned.

Let us be confident and stand in courage by these words, that nothing will separate us (who have placed their faith and love in God through Jesus Christ) from the Love of God through Christ Jesus. That means no matter what I am going through, I am loved by God. His plan for my end is for my good.

I love the passage that we reflected on in class this week:

Jeremiah 36:32-44
36 "You are saying about this city, 'By the sword, famine and plague it will be handed over to the king of Babylon'; but this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 37 I will surely gather them from all the lands where I banish them in my furious anger and great wrath; I will bring them back to this place and let them live in safety. 38 They will be my people, and I will be their God. 39 I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them. 40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. 41 I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul.
42 "This is what the LORD says: As I have brought all this great calamity on this people, so I will give them all the prosperity I have promised them. 43 Once more fields will be bought in this land of which you say, 'It is a desolate waste, without men or animals, for it has been handed over to the Babylonians.' 44 Fields will be bought for silver, and deeds will be signed, sealed and witnessed in the territory of Benjamin, in the villages around Jerusalem, in the towns of Judah and in the towns of the hill country, of the western foothills and of the Negev, because I will restore their fortunes, [d] declares the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment