Changes in Married Life

I'm here today at home working. It's three weeks now since our wedding and it seems that it's already a long time. We are back now to reality. We had a wonderful honeymoon time at Baguio and Coron, and I can say that they were days well spent despite the extra expense (as others would think) I believe they are priceless memories that happen only once in your life (that is our honeymoon). I believe we're off to a good start. Since last week that we have officially moved into our abode, there have been a lot of changes in me and my routine brought about by this new married life:

1. I wake up earlier - First observation since the day after our first night together at the hotel, we wake up earlier. I mean like six or seven o'clock without any aid of alarms from cellphones, it's somewhat a miracle. This is so even if we sleep late. Others say that it's because I'm not yet used to be sleeping with someone beside me, but I think I'm already over that. This still has no logical explanation in my mind.

2. I do more chores - Because Netty is the one who commutes to work, and I do my work at home, I do more chores than when I was single. Being a caring and thoughtful husband, I don't want to burden my wife coming home to a house that is cluttered and dirty. I sweep the floor now. I help her wash the dishes. I help her prepare the meals. It's quite fun being able to share this moments with her.

3. I can cook rice - As of today, I have already cooked rice twice. Still one time without assistance. At first my mom taught and demonstrated to me how to cook rice. The second attempt was more dry, but more than edible. Netty would cook our ulam in Makati (her parents home and where her clinic is located), and bring it home. It's a wonderful partnership. I would like also someday to learn how to cook, but that's when the cooking stove arrives.

4. I can iron clothes - I never really knew how to iron clothes. Though I tried it before when I was single, but I wasn't getting a well ironed shirt. Then when we were back in Manila between Baguio and Coron, as Netty was ironing clothes for Coron, I tried to observe and learn from it. You have to put some weight on the iron when you press it! That's why I wasn't getting an ironed shirt, I was just gliding it over the cloth. That was the secret. So she asked me to try ironing some hankies that took me a minute to iron per hanky, but it was well iron and well folded.

5. Life takes a slower pace - Being a person who is fast paced on stuff, it was adjustment for me because life takes a slower pace in the married life. I think it's because women spend longer time in accomplishing something than men do. I can think of two things: taking a bath and grocery shopping. It's not at all negative. I like it. Somehow in myself I already feel this mellow person becoming dominant than the go-go-go me that was before. Plus now you don't do things without the other person knowing, everything must be consulted and discussed and agreed.

And that's just three weeks after the wedding. 

1 comment: