Murmats!

Today at Chi Alpha Ubelt I was able to connect with a high schooler whose name was also Patrick. He came to the center for the first gathering of the High School ministry through Book of Hope distribution done a few days ago. He came by himself. He said that he's already used to attending "youth" because he was active once in this sort of gathering. And later I will discover that he was a volunteer marshall at the Quiapo church, home of the Black Nazarene. And it's no question as I have confirmed that he's an active participant of the January feast. I learned that he is already twenty-one years old, that explains the moustache, but he looked like sixteen if not for the stache. Even though much delayed in education he was pretty determined to finish high school. I admire that because not a lot of young people in his situation would appreciate a high school diploma. Last part of the event was where they will be presented with the gospel story. This was the first time I did this since long ago and I felt I was pretty un-oiled, but praise God it went well. I just pray that the decision made by this guy will grow within him even in the days to come.

Two things:

Categories. Often times we put people in categories. I heard this first from Rob Bell and its true. We put people in categories. Is he Christian or non-Christian? High school or college? Today I was confronted by this almost involuntary labeling, and it screwed by labels. Much often we realize in this time today more than ever, labels don't work anymore. Being a "Christian" is not a guarantee of emulate-worthy, and I have met many "non-Christian" who are doing their part as active members of society. And one would sigh, "if only he/she was a Christian ..." Jesus broke the categories of his day, he broke through social lines and so we must as radical Jesus followers armed with the most potent weapon that breaks barriers: God's love.

The Mandate. We have been commanded to "go and make disciples of all nation". This was the first time again for me to intentionally share the gospel to a person. And even though at first it was like clockwork, by the end of my presentation I was filled with compassion for this person. We dwelled on discussing the validity of good works for salvation. If only he knew Jesus beyond the rituals and tradition just like many of us, even myself (even as Christians ministers we sometimes succumb to "autopilot"). But that moment sort of oiled my heart for the lost. The urgency the mandate and the beauty of an open heart.

I left after my conversation with the kid, they were still wrapping up the program, and Nette and I were to meet somewhere to go home together. In the train I texted the kid my appreciation and he returned, "... murmats kuya." This was new coded language for me. Is this how old I have gotten already, a realization that I'm not young anymore! So I texted him back asking what that word means (I thought it meant another thing, so I asked out of curiosity). He replied "Maraming Salamat" (Thank you). To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment