The Man and The Miracle

Today I was reading through the story in John 9 when Jesus healed the man who was born blind. I was just reminded by what motivation did Jesus healed the blind man. I really love this story because this is something I can relate with. I may not be physically blind, but at one time, spiritually I was groping in the darkness of my soul.

The man born blind didn't asked to be healed, he didn't even know that Jesus had come to heal him that day. But Jesus did it anyway. So what was Jesus' motivation behind this healing? Reading through the passage with eyes of the flesh we can assume that Jesus might be trying to prove a point. He might be trying to prove His superiority over Sabbath, or the Law and the Pharisees, which He is (superior). Or perhaps He had his disciples for another lesson on the kingdom and it happened that this blind man was a suitable object lesson. Then I realize, it is my sinful nature that I see in me. These are why we do ministry for the wrong reasons. The thing is Jesus' didn't have to prove anything, He heals people for who He is. His name is Jesus.

I started to magnify and worship God as I am confronted once again with this amazing love of God. The blind man didn't ask to be healed. Like many of us, we didn't ask to be saved. "But while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." His motivation, pure love and compassion. A love as hot as a burning furnace, compassion as gentle as a Father's embrace. And the object of this raging love and compassion--you. He is in hot pursuit of you. In the grand scheme of God's plan, Jesus sought this man born blind to reveal himself to this man and to reveal God's kingdom to many, "so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

It makes me wonder and ask myself, how am I responding to this love. That if love is a burning furnace, have I been transformed by it? Makes me wonder the moments when I choose to cast my godly inheritance for earthly ones. These are the moments when I lose sight of this love, the knowledge that God is continuously drawing me to Him. Scripture say that it is by God's kindness that we are led to repentance. Just when Jesus challenged the faith of this man to believe and wash his face in Siloam, do I have that faith to believe that I am washed, forgiven and redeemed?

"Once I was blind, but now I see." The man only knew two things. The Man and the miracle. It was enough for him, but soon after he would discover that he was already talking to his Savior face to face.  
I was also blind once, and Jesus sought me and He saved me because He is love. His grace, forgiveness and His dwelling presence that I have received lay on this amazing love. And so we focus on the Name and the miracle--Jesus and what He has done for us. 

+++

No comments:

Post a Comment