Jewish Filipino-Chinese

Finally after three mondays of class suspensions because of typhoon, holiday and school retreat, we've got to finally have class again in Hebrew. I missed the class. So this morning I went an hour early to school to do some review (although we usually have group study as early as 11AM). The difference what three cancelled meeting makes. It needed some effort to get back to speaking and understanding the language again. I remember this is the same effect it had on me after I graduated highschool. I almost forgot to speak, understand and write Chinese.

We usually don't speak Chinese at home, being a child of second-generation Filipino-Chinese. Sociologist say there are three orders of Filipino-Chinese in the Philippines: the nearly extinct First Generation (they are the one's who came from the mainland and marry a Filipino), second generation (the children of the first generation, who speaks Chinese at home, but speaks Filipino outside), and the third generation (who rarely speak Chinese anymore). They say 10 generations further, intermarriages among Filipinos and Chinese would've blend and neutralize each cultural uniqueness. That is why some elder Chinese try or force the younger to marry their own kind to preserve the culture and values, and even sometimes their economic status. And sadly this kind of mindset made its way in the church. A sad but true anecdote: A young Chinoy grows an interest with a Filipina, his mother is concerned. "We have different values," she tells me. Though I wouldn't approve also just because the girl goes to a "different" church. But the close-mindedness lies within the person themselves, situations vary, so I warn you not to stereotype people, because that's bad.

So let me end this day-in-a-life-turned-rant post by quoting Paul: "There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For [we] are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28).

No comments:

Post a Comment