Day in the Life: Our 5th Wedding Annivesary

Today is our 5th wedding anniversary. How time flies so fast. And tonight as I reflect about it all I can think of is how blessed I am, for giving me a lovely and caring wife, best-friend, and partner in ministry and life.

It's an interesting series of events leading to today as we planned for our wedding celebration. Last year, we've already been wanting to watch the Beauty and the Beast musical at CCP when it was promoted. We were dreaming about it, hoping that one day we will do our first musical experience. January came in, and as our anniversary came closer we started researching about it. The price was quite steep for first timers like us. But thank God for His provisions, we purchase our ticket.

Then came tha Papal Visit. We learned that major roads near CCP will be closed because the Pope will be in the area the same day (MOA). So in order to avoid the traffic, we opted to stay at a hotel nearby. So we book it. And we thought all is set.

Wednesday, two days before our wedding anniv. I was at the student center, my wife was at the clinic and she received a text message that the musical was cancelled because of the road closures. I was worried that the hotel won't allow rebooking, because I booked it online. But thank God when I called the hotel they allowed us to reschedule. My wife took charge of the ticket rescheduling and thank God we found a suitable alternative date. So she finalized the ticket, I rebooked the hotel, and we're set to watch it on our boyfriend-girlfriend anniversary. All through out this chaos, this verse reminds me: God works for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). We just picked up our new tickets this evening.

So after that, we thought what we could do on our anniversary. It was a last minute brainstorming, and we decided that we will go to Tagaytay, stay overnight in a beautiful garden resort, relax, have spa etc. We tried calling a number of options, all were booked except that garden and there's only one left. Surely that was for us I thought. So we made our reservations. Last night we packed our things ready for a relaxing time in cool Tagaytay.

January 16. Early morning. Went out of the house to re-park the car (we do this almost every day). And when I came back in the house, there was a small round itchy swelling on my arm. I thought, "it's just a small rash." Then in the succeeding minutes, my throat started to get itchy, it became difficult to breathe, and my left eye started to get teary and red. And then it swelled! This was the 2nd time it happened to me this January, last time it was a bad hives they call it on my arms and legs, and now for the first time in my adult life, my left eye was swollen like someone punched my face. I know this sort of thing happen by being allergic to food and such, but we thought it was the morning cold that got me.

I was hesitant to put off our trip. But Nette insisted that we call it off because it would be dangerous to have my condition worsen while on the road. I didn't want to ruin her day. But thank God for a very understanding wife. I know she really wants to celebrate our anniversary as it was planned out but we found ourselves again stuck at home. We thought that perhaps God didn't want us to go through it after the 2nd time our plans got stuck.

So we just gave in and stayed home, at least for the whole morning and early afternoon. Got to sleep and rest, had a simple lunch at home. We watched together our wedding video, it was so funny to see yourself and your friends 5 years ago. We also watched ourselves say our wedding vows to each other, and reflected on how we were doing on that today. It's a combination of cheesiness and heartwarming.

In the afternoon, I wasn't going to allow the day to end without celebrating. So we went out, even with my eye still swollen, and had an early lunch at The Fort, went to Glorietta to walk around and buy ourselves some gifts. Coffee and headed home. It was a simple but it was better than nothing.

A photo posted by antonette tan (@netty_tan) on



In the end, I thought, it doesn't really matter where and how we celebrate it, as long as we are together really, enjoying each other's company. Don't let things dictate the value of the individual, but turn it the other way around: Blessings are there to give us a meaningful life experience. Sometimes your plans don't happen, sometimes they do, but after reflecting on the goodness of the Lord in our life, in my life, I have no time for complaints. My heart was filled with gladness and thanksgiving, even with a swollen eye. Right now the swelling is already little, I hope tomorrow it's totally gone.

I opened my Bible today, and first read Psalm 16 (I try to read one Psalm based on the day's date). And what I read just summarize what my heart was feeling all day long:

Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

(Psalm 16:5-8)


No comments:

Post a Comment