Day in the Life: Carecell Day

Today was a bit tiring (What's new?) But very fulfilling. I had to wake up early today for the district ministers meeting at Word of Hope. The meeting was held on their new auditorium in a new building just beside the new building. Truly they are blessed. And a treat when Dr. Dave Sobrepena encouraged us with the word on vision. Contrary to the rumors and comments about him and the church, I mean you have to give them credit for taking the church a long way to becoming one of the biggest churches in the metropolis. He should be doing something good. God bless him.

After the meeting it was along journey to Binondo as I took what seemed to be short-cuts but I thought it took me longer time to arrive at my destination. I like doing that for the variety of it. When I arrived at Binondo, went to Starbucks to pass time by continuing my reading on Reimaging Church. Some how past half way through the book, things are taking a drastic turn of opinion as I feel that the concept he is arguing and the "established norm" (for lack of a better term for it) he is trying to contradict is a bit purist. I feel that there is no black and white here, no 100% right and 100% wrong. Balance is needed.

An hour before our youth Doris came for me as I told her that I was there, and we went to church together. We had everything laid out but at five there weren't any youth in our cell except to old-timers. Despite feeling down, it was a divine guidance that we just started to be spontaneous and sing songs of praise until the presence of the Lord was intense and four of us began to sing new songs and spoke in tongues. It was a much needed release and refreshment from the Lord. Sometimes ministry can overshadow the simplicity of worship--connecting to the source, to the reason why we are doing all of these. After which was a time of encouragement and ministry as we prayed for one another. This is my ideal small group ministry. Not dictated by any program or plan, but lead by Jesus Christ himself. (Viola talks about the headship of Christ in a community). And after that refreshing time, like it was on cue, the youth we're expecting (new visitors, some were second-timers, highschool basketball varsity players) finally came. So we proceed as we've planned. As if the Lord decided to refocus our eyes first, that ministry should be done with awareness that ministry is also worship, before He sent the youth to be ministered by us. And what a joyful time it was of bonding and encouragement. We had games and get-to-know activities. By sharing time we got to connect to the hearts of the students as they opened up their frustrations and hurts. I am broken by listening to their frustrations and hurts from their families, parents and fathers. My heart cries for such young hearts being disappointed and bruised by a hurting world. Sometimes you are tempted to feel hopeless yourself as if you would question what could you do. But thank God for His Word that is always there to comfort and lay out a promise that He works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. Indeed all of us have a purpose God gave for us to fulfill. It's just a matter of surrender and let Him use you for it.

After the time with them we had dinner at McDonalds, the young adults group who just came from their own small group which they held in a nearby resto, decided to join us for company, wanting to stay and fellowship some more. It was sweet. I ordered a Big Mac (rarely do I order a BM but this time I felt as if I could eat a cow) and enjoyed some extended fellowship and encouragement time by each other. After that we went home, took some of our youth home and got home ourselves.

It was tiring. Ministry can be tiring. But it's always worth every energy and sweat. May God be glorified for what has transpired today.

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." ~ 1 Corinthians 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment