One year after our engagement

I almost forgot that today marks one year after I proposed to Nette up in APTS Baguio. Indeed time flies so fast! Last night during our phone conversation, she asked if I remember anything about today. I thought, November 22 ... her birthday is on the 24th right. Thankfully after much pondering what November 22 was I remembered. Wow it was already a year ago? Though we weren't able to celebrate this I still rejoice in the testament of God's faithfulness in our lives even as now that our wedding day draws near.

I remembered having the engagement ring done and ready a month before my proposal. It just sat faithfully in my drawer, looking at it once in a while (and trying it on my pinkie, not a beautiful sight.), rehearsing so many times how the whole secret surprise proposal would turn out to be. The evening before I went up to Baguio, we were together. Because usually when we do not see each other on that day, we would talk on the phone. So I had my things packed before we went out. I did this so that we don't get to talk on the phone anymore as I would be already on the bus to Baguio. Good thing I kept the excitement and anticipation which wasn't heard to do. After our date, I took her to their home and I took a quick taxi to Victory Liner Station in Pasay City where my brother Lawrence, his girlfriend Zarah Jane and Brznf were already waiting with my things.


It was already morning when we arrived in Baguio. We had a quick stop at SM and headed to APTS where our room awaits. With the help of Ptr. Joseph Suico who was a faculty in APTS, we got two room apartments just overlooking the familiar mountain ranges of the Cordilleras. We were to stay in one room. The other room was for the arriving guests the next day (Netty and her sis and husband, and their church friends). A few weeks before that day, it was a challenge how to make Nette come up to Baguio without smelling something fishy. Ate Me-anne purported a story that Kuya Jeric needs to attend a conference in Baguio and invited her to go with them which she innocently obliged.


Day 2. I picked up Ate Me-anne and Kuya Jeric in SM Baguio. We also bought food and necessities for the evening and the next day. Weng Sabacan, a former team mate in a youth org I spearheaded before who resided in Baguio that time, helped us get around and get the best buys. I bought two dozen roses in the market for P80. Then went to this flower shop to have a beautiful bouquet of assorted purple colored flowers along with the roses. It was beautiful. Every minute was nearing to zero-zero hours. Going back to the apartment, we had a simple dinner (Ate Me-anne cooked roast chicken which I forgot to appreciate because my mind was already all over the place). Then we slept early. Team 3 composed of Nette, Reah (her BFF), Grace (her cousin) and Enoch (Reah's brother) are already on the bus going up to Baguio.


3AM. A text message. "We're going up to APTS now". We convene to review the plan for the surprise. Ate Me-anne and Kuya Jeric wait upstairs to welcome the group. Nette thinks that only Ate Me-anne and Kuya Jeric will be there. Everyone's armed with a camera. A few moments later six floors below, we can hear chattering. It was time. So me in my best garb, with a bouquet of flowers on hand and the ring on the other, we make the longest elevator trip of my life (though it was only six floors up!) APTS have been memorable to both of us because it was during a conference here where we first met. And one of the places where we were confined to ourselves was the elevator.


At the ground floor, the elevator starts to close, signifying that someone from above already pressed the elevator button. The elevator starts to go up. And stops. And it opens with me on it. Netty was really caught by surprise! And she starts to cry and go on a corner. I gave her the flowers. She keeps crying, reprimanding me why I haven't texted her all day long and reprimanding others why they kept this from her. She begins to squat down. I told her she needs to get up. Because I should be the one kneeling down. So feebly she gets up, I kneel down shaking. I opened the small blue velvet ring box with the ring in it and said, "'By, will you marry me?" For a moment there was a pause. And finally she said, "Of course! Yes!" I put the ring on her finger and give each other a very tight hug.


On the ring, it is inscribed, "Patty & Netty, Forever starts Today - November 22, 2008."


(Thanks to Reah for this Video)

“When you want something, all the universe conspires and helps you to achieve it.”

~ King Melchizedek, The Alchemist

No comments:

Post a Comment