Walking through the tombs


It was the first time after many years that All Saints Day fell on a Sunday. So after our morning service our family went to the cemetery to visit our departed. As usual we parked three to four blocks away from Chinese Cemetery because of the crowds. I am fond of these visits for the reason that walking through the tombs and mauseleums of the Chinese Cemetery is like walking through a museum or walking through time with it's different periods of architecture and designs. This time the place had gotten older somehow you can feel that it was wasting away. After some 30 minutes of staying at my dad's parents grave we prepared to leave and go back to our car. It was during this time that a sudden emotion came over me .. of gloom and utter depression of the place. I remembered Ecclesiastes where Solomon writes, "Life is meaningless ... everything is meaningless." I thought, did each person lying in these graves did something during their lifetime? Something worthy of God's approval, something that pushed the boundaries of God's cause further out so that His kingdom will reach to the ends of the earth. Then I resolved to myself, I will not let that happen with this life of mine. Just like Doctor Octopus (Spiderman 2) said to himself in the struggle of good and evil in himself, "I will not die a monster." I will not pass through this life without doing something, my two cents, for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment