Back in the old habit?


Woke up from an afternoon nap. Went to church this morning for Easter Service, it was a wonderful Easter message by Ptr. Sur del Rosario entitled “Easter Surprises”. I had an Easter surprise myself early this morning. A surprise that reminded me and my wife that Jesus cares and He is taking care of us. I’ll save that for another story.


So as I was working in my computer I hear from the outside of our house “sa letrang B numero siyete”. The Bingo table is back on our sidewalk apparently. It’s painful to hear this like some people are back in their old habit, as if the last few days of Lent meant nothing, or at least a time of confession and asking for forgiveness, but Easter comes and it’s time to party again. I remember the same when I was still living in Caloocan when on Easter Sunday, for some of our neighbors it meant back on the liquor table and debauch themselves ‘til kingdom come.


I wanted to tweet about it. To air this agitation in my heart. But I don’t want to sound like a bigot. I hear my mind tell my heart, before you make your feelings public, do a self-reflection on yourself first.


Jesus didn’t die and rose again to set up a new religion. New religiosity of the same evil heart. But Jesus literally went to “hell and back” so that we can have hope of a new heart, a transformed life. So that we don’t have to do give in to destructive ways, but He offers a change of management. “My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”


As a recipient of this grace that I received through the cross and the promise of eternal life through the resurrection, am I a true witness of Jesus’ resurrection? Am I marked by a changed life? Do I display a life living under the grace of God? So much so that people around me see it, and “praise their Father in heaven?” Am I back in the old habit of Christianity by words and not by action (Kristyano sa nguso, hindi sa puso)? I thank God because through Christ and the power of His resurrection it is possible to live a transformed and victorious life, and become a blessing to others.


Far be it that we cease to tell the world about Jesus and His gift of life and transformation. Let the light of resurrection break within us that others may be led and their paths lit.


-


And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. - Romans 8:11


Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment