The Teacher's Challenge

John Ortberg's challenge was about the value of teaching (or preaching) as a spiritual gift in our church, and challenged us to commit on the following:

1. I will seek to make sure my church is taught by people with the spiritual gift of teaching. (Eph 4:11-12)
How to know if a person has a gift of teaching:
- Studies the Word recreationally
- Has the ability to automatically connect learning and communication
- Discerns the spiritual temperature of the congregation and knows how to address it
- People have a deep conviction that the Word has changed their lives
- Frequent feedback on the impact of your teaching from other people

2. I will lead a surrendered life. I will make being a fully-devoted follower a higher priority than being a successful pastor. (1Co 9:27)

3. I will pay whatever price is required to fan my gift to flame. (2Ti 1:6)
Learn to evaluate your own teaching. Listen to yourself preach.

4. I will teach with integrity and authenticity (James 3:1-2)
Learn to disclose your own humanity but sharing only what needs to be heard.

5. I will help develop the next generation of teachers (1Ti 2:2)

6. I will measure my teaching by how Christ is seen in the lives of the listeners. (Col 1:28-29)

No comments:

Post a Comment